Monday, March 20, 2017
Sunday, September 25, 2016
MOTORISTS can now use the elevated interchange from the Damansara-Puchong Highway (LDP) to Jalan Utama 2, Puchong Utama.The road project, which aimed at easing congestion at the Puchong Perdana interchange and Puchong Utama/Dengkil interchanges, was opened to motorists on Saturday.
Southbound motorists can also make a right turn into Jalan Utama 2 and from Jalan Utama 2 onto the LDP.
Selangor Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Azmin Ali who opened the road last Friday said the “semi-diamond” elevated interchange that connects Taman Puchong Utama (east) to Taman Perindustrian Puchong Utama and Taman Maju Jaya (west), would benefit road users in Puchong Batu 14, Puchong Utama and Puchong Perdana.The project cost of RM28,997,559 was borne by MPSJ and 11 developers.The developers were required under Section 8 of the Street, Drainage and Building Act 1974 (Act 133), to contribute to the infrastructure work.The state government loaned the council RM18mil for the project.The 1.5km elevated interchange was approved by the Malaysian Highway Authority (MHA) and works began on Feb 17, 2014 and was completed on Aug 24.
MPSJ Engineering Department deputy director Mohd Haizi Harun said approximately 68,000 road users used the highway daily.
Sunday, August 14, 2016
PUCHONG, Aug 13 — A Puchong resident recently spotted an open burning site just 500 metres from his housing area during an early morning drive on August 1 around nearby shoplots. This time, Brian Law was armed with a PM 2.5 air reading device to determine the damage that the open burning was doing to the air and found a reading of 226 on the Air Quality Index (AQI), which is categorised as very unhealthy. The 2015 air pollution crisis which enveloped Malaysians with haze has long passed, but the residents of Taman Putra Prima and adjacent areas in Puchong are still facing haze-like conditions due to extensive open burning in at least five sites near their homes. “We have been facing this for the past three years and we have written in complaints to almost every agency,” Taman Putra Prime Phase 8B resident association (RA) chairman Kiew Kian Chong said during a press meet today. Their complaints were taken up by Puchong MP Gobind Singh Deo from the DAP
earlier this year, who then raised the matter directly with the Subang Jaya Municipal Council (MPSJ).
“MPSJ set out to investigate the ownership of this land. What we discovered was that, there are at least five plots of land involved in this illegal dumping and open burning. Three of them were owned by individuals, and two of the plots are actually owned by the (Selangor) state government,” he said. Residents allege that at nocturnal hours, unidentified contractors drive their lorries into these sites, totalling more than five acres, and dump rubbish like food waste, furniture, and plastics. Then they set the separate piles on fire, just metres away from the Klang river and a nearby former mining pond. But the individuals behind the burning allegedly do not stay back to ensure the burning process is complete and there are huge piles of half-burned rubbish in the area, causing health hazards. One resident, Peter Lai, believes that his recent throat infection and the illness of his six-month old son is related to the open burning. “Our health is also being affected by this,” he said. Residents had called the Fire and Rescue Department several times in the past, but while firemen help put out the fire, it does not stop the burning, which residents say is an everyday phenomenon, from happening the next day. MPSJ, on the other hand, can carry out enforcement on individual instances when complaints are made, but is also restricted in finding a total solution to the problem. “MPSJ have enforcement powers, but what they are saying is that -- how do they keep enforcing over and over again to prevent the problem?” Gobind said following his meeting with the council. “I am disappointed with all agencies involved, be it state or federal, for they have been aware of this for three years now,” he added. Gobind specifically criticised the Selangor Land and Mines Office for their inaction. “I call upon the state to take action under the national land code if possible, in respect to the persons owning these lands, including possibly confiscating the land,” he said. “If the land office cannot solve this problem, give the land to MPSJ so that they can do something with it,” he added. Gobind said he would be seeking to meet Selangor Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamed Azmin Ali over the matter as soon as possible, as the issue not only affects the 3,000 odd people living in Taman Putra Prima, but at least 10,000 people living in the vicinity of the dumpsites. The Selangor state government had repeatedly threatened to take legal action against landowners where open burning is being conducted, especially during haze season. But now that the burnings in Puchong are isolated to one area, Gobind said no agency seemed to be taking the matter seriously enough. “When there is no haze, the federal and state governments do not care. There is a lack of response from both of them, and nobody wants to take action,” he added.
Sunday, July 3, 2016
Monday, June 27, 2016
Sunday, June 26, 2016
Finishing touches: Workers completing their work at the LRT track near the Putra Heights station along the Kelana Jaya line in Petaling Jaya
PETALING JAYA: The public transport network in Klang Valley is expected to enter a new phase with the opening of the extension to the two LRT lines – Kelana Jaya and Ampang – on Thursday.
Passengers can start taking the trains once the services are operational in the morning.
The launch will be carried out by the Prime Minister in the afternoon.
The launch of the extension to the two lines, which will serve dense residential areas such as Puchong, Subang Jaya, Ara Damansara and USJ, will benefit hundreds of thousands of commuters and form an important link to the entire network that will also see the construction and completion of three MRT lines and another LRT 3.
The Kelana Jaya extension, which will run for 17km with 12 new stations from Lembah Subang to Putra Heights, will see an additional 170,000 passengers daily while that for Ampang will see an extra 130,000 commuters every day.
In a statement yesterday, Prasarana Rail and Infrastructure Projects Sdn Bhd chief executive officer Datuk Zohari Sulaiman said it had received support letters from various agencies for its stations under the Kelana Jaya line, which falls under the jurisdiction of the Subang Jaya Municipal Council (MPSJ).
“The One Stop Centre of MPSJ has accepted, checked and acknowledged the submission, including the certificate of completion and compliance (CCC) issued by the architects.
“For the remaining three Ampang line stations, we have also received support letters from various agencies, including MPSJ, Syabas, TNB, IWK and the Fire and Rescue Services Department,” he said.
“Once the documents are submitted and acknowledged, the submission process is considered complete,” he said, adding that operations for the extension would start from Thursday as scheduled.
Zohari said it had already created more than 2,200 parking bays along the Kelana Jaya Line Extension as well as finalised the routes of the feeder buses.
Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai said the newly-extended lines would encourage more Malaysians to use public transport.
“Well done, I’ve raised my own key performance index (KPI) from 470,000 to 500,000 ridership. The new extension will motivate more people to use public transport,” he said, adding that bus and taxi services would also be enhanced to help connect public to their homes and train stations.
“The railway lines are now fully utilised. We have trains travelling to Klang from Kuala Lumpur every 15 minutes and we are aiming to improve this to seven minutes.”